header

Credit: Marist College Library Archives and Special Collections

Madam Brett Homestead

MID HUDSON
http://www.hudsonrivervalley.com/Details.aspx?sid=c2bef3ed-7842-4a3c-82b3-c475e64433c4
50 Van Nydeck Avenue
Beacon, NY 12508
Hours: Group or private tours by appointment
Phone: (845) 831-6533 or (845) 896-6897
 

Historical Description:

The original portion of the Madam Brett Homestead was built in about 1709 by Catheryna and Roger Brett, who had settled on land inherited from father, Francis Rombout, one of the three patentees of southern Dutchess County. Widowed at a young age, Madam Brett remained in the "wilderness" to raise three young sons. She became a successful businesswoman, operating a mill and forming a trading cooperative for local settlers. During the American Revolution, George Washington, the Marquis de Lafayette, and the Baron von Steuben visited the homestead.

 

The Site:

The oldest building in Dutchess County, the homestead was occupied by seven successive generations of Madam Brett's descendants before it was saved from demolition and purchased by the Melzingah Chapter of the National Society of Daughters of the American Revolution in 1954, which maintains the house and garden. Notable features of the house include handmade scalloped shingles, sloped dormers and a native stone foundation. Also noteworthy are the wide- floors, hand-hewn beams and the kitchen fireplace. Original furnishings include a large China-Trade Porcelain collection and 18th and 19th century furniture.

 

Directions:

Exit 11 off of Interstate 84, south on Route 9D to first light. Go left on to Verplanck Avenue, and continue on to second traffic light. Turn right on to Fishkill Avenue, and continue through the next light (at Main Street) to Van Nydeck Avenue (first street on left). If traveling from the south, take Route 9D North into Beacon, and turn right on to Teller Avenue. VanNydeck Avenue will be the 4th street on the right.

 

Research Patron: Denise Van Buren

edit