Select from the following:General
"The City of Newburgh abounds with block after block of historic architecture. Established in 1973, the East End Historic District contains over 4000 buildings of historic interest."
"The National Trust for Historic Preservation is a privately funded non-profit organization that provides leadership, education and advocacy to save America's diverse historic places and revitalize our communities. "
"The official website of the Colonial Albany Social History Project. It is intended to introduce everyone to the people of colonial Albany and their world."
"Huguenot Street Historic District, a National Historic Landmark, was created to preserve the oldest continuously inhabited street in America with its original houses, a wonderful collection exhibiting Dutch vernacular architecture and furnishings."
"The New York State Archives was established in 1971 and opened its doors to the public in 1978. It is a program of the State Education Department, with its main facility located in the Cultural Education Center on Madison Avenue in Albany. There it cares for and provides access to more than 130 million documents that tell the story of New York from the seventeenth century to the present."
Historic Hudson River's links to historic restorations, libraries, and museums.
Locust Grove has seen three major phases of development. Samuel Morse acquired a Georgian house, built in 1830 by John and Isabella Montgomery, as part of the estate he purchased in 1847. Central to his plan for improving the estate, Morse consulted his friend, the well known architect Alexander Jackson Davis, and together they created a villa in the popular Tuscan style. To the original home, Morse and Davis added two wings to the north and south, creating an octagon, as well as the porte-cochère and billiards room to the East, and the four-story tower structure facing west toward the river. This tower established a powerful focal point for the landscape that Morse was already planning.
So Americans were commanded when seeking guidance about architecture and design during the mid-19th century. Professional advisors used the illustrated book as a way to help Americans navigate a period of political and cultural change. For the first time, design encyclopedias, pattern books, architectural advice books, art instruction manuals, and international exposition catalogs opened the door to a world where architecture, applied art, and ideas met. Such offerings can be viewed as examples of graphic approach and style and, on a larger scale, as codifiers of applied art and domestic design. Professionals and amateurs, artists and artisans, and builders and homeowners turned to these publications to learn about both technique and aesthetics.
"More than 300 years 0f Upper Hudson Valley history are reflected in the cluster of architecturally significant buildings which comprise the Bronck Museum."
HVVA publishes a regular newsletter of their research and findings throughout the Hudson River Valley. While they have a strong interest in Dutch barns, "vernacular" architecture includes much more than barns, and they include a little sampling of everything.Great Architects
"Mr. Gehry has built an architectural career that has spanned four decades and produced public and private buildings in America, Europe and Asia." Including the Bard College Center for Performing arts in Annandale-on-Hudson, NY.
"During the 1840s and 1850s, Davis was America's leading architect of country houses in a variety of picturesque styles, the most popular among them being Gothic Revival and Italianate."
"Downing developed his view that country residences should fit into the surrounding landscape and blend with its natural habitat. He also believed that architecture should be functional and that designs for residences should be both beautiful and functional."
"Richard Morris Hunt (1828-1895) was an architect who is widely credited as the one of the fathers of American architecture."
"McKim, Mead, and White was formed in 1878 when Charles Follen McKim (1847-1909) formed a partnership with William Rutherford Mead (1846-1928) and William B. Bigelow. Bigelow retired the following year when Stanford White (1853-1906) joined the firm and the firm's name was established"
"He is widely recognized as America's premier landscape architect and park-maker. His accomplishments in the field of park design, conservation, town planning, and landscape architecture have national and international significance."
"A leader of multiple architectural movements in the 19th-century United States, James Renwick, Jr., elevated contemporary regard for the profession through his designs for high-profile buildings such as the Smithsonian "Castle" in Washington and St. Patrick's Cathedral in New York."
"During his brief but productive career of 21 years Henry Hobson Richardson had perfected building solutions and design formulas for a wide range of building types, many of which were new to his age: small town and large-scale libraries, campus buildings, train stations, cathedrals, courthouses, city halls, state capitals, the commercial block, and the suburban home."
"In his designs, Rudolph synthesizes the Modernist ideas of Le Corbusier, Frank Lloyd Wright, and Louis I. Kahn. He uses sweeping monolithic forms and intricate interior spaces to create a powerful sculptural quality."
"In 1839 he was engaged to rebuild Trinity Church, New York City. Moving to New York, he established an office there. The new Trinity Church (1846) was carefully modeled on English examples and inaugurated a new phase in the Gothic revival."
Throughout the course of his career "Vaux designed several structures for The Parade (now Martin Luther King, Jr. Park), The Park (Now Delaware Park), and The Front (now Front Park." He also collaborated with Frederick Law Olmstead in the design of Central Park.
Though not usually associated with the Hudson River Valley, Wright designed three houses and many site plans for the Usonia Community in Westchester County, a cooperative community that was otherwise designed and built by his students David Henkin and Aaron Resnick.
"At the apex of his career, Wright left New York City and moved his base of operations to Garrison. It was here that he created a unique home and designed landscape."Great Estates
"Staatsburgh, is a New York State Historic Site located within the boundaries of Mills-Norrie State Park. It is an elegant example of the great estates built by America's financial and industrial leaders during the Gilded Age.... In 1895, Mr. and Mrs. Mills commissioned the prestigious New York City architectural firm of McKim, Mead and White to remodel and enlarge their Staatsburg home. After completion in 1896, the house was transformed into a Beaux-Arts mansion of 65 rooms and 14 bathrooms. Its exterior was embellished with balustrades, pilasters, floral swags, and a massive portico. The rooms were furnished with elaborately carved and gilded furniture, fine oriental rugs, silk fabrics, and a collection of art objects from Europe, ancient Greece, and the Far East."
"This collections includes preliminary drawing, sketches, and architectural plans by Samuel F. B. Morse and his architect Alexander Jackson Davis for the renovation and expansion of the Locust Grove mansion in 1851."