Select from the following:
Slavery in the ValleySlavery in the Valley
Native American History
Children and Education
Corridor of Commerce - travel & industry
History and Commerce of Forestry
"The Society of Negroes Unsettled;" The History of Slavery in New Paltz, by Eric J. Roth
Proceedings from the Symposium, "Buried Away: Finding & Using African-American History in the Hudson Valley"
Proceedings from the Symposium, "Buried Away: Finding & Using African-American History in the Hudson Valley" held at the Huguenot Historical Society, New Paltz, NY on November 3, 2001. This all-day symposium on African-American history in the Mid-Hudson Valley was co-sponsored by the Huguenot Historical Society, the African-American Research Committee of the Town of New Paltz, and the Lower Hudson Conference. The program presented lectures by speakers from multiple disciplines, including archival research, cemetery and community history, archeological and geophysics, education, and museum studies. The Symposium reflected the Hudson Valley's coming to terms with the fact of slavery in our past, and how to integrate and use this knowledge in our schools, libraries, museums, local governments, and institutions.
This website provides sources that are available at the Huguenot Historical Society Library in New Paltz. All of these sources pertain to African-Americans.
Harriet Tubman, a fugitive slave who personally escorted over 300 slaves to freedom, was known for thinking her way through perilous situations. Her ingenuity is illustrated in an incident that occurred in 1860 in Troy, New York, in which she set her mind to setting free a fugitive who had been captured and was being held at the office of the United States Commissioner. The following excerpt was taken from Harriet Tubman, The Moses of Her People. The story was told to the book's author, Sarah Bradford, in an interview with Harriet Tubman.
"This site is dedicated to telling the story of the Underground Railroad (UGR) in the New York State Capital Region, and identifying some resources which might be used to further study the UGR."
"Created in 2006, MHAHP brings together researchers, educators, civic leaders, and interested community members. Our goals are: * to conduct and synthesize research on the history of antislavery in the Mid-Hudson Valley, with special emphasis on the Underground Railroad; * to interpret this history and to share these interpretations with a wide array of residents and visitors in our area, with particular attention to students and youth; * to place local histories of slavery and antislavery in the Mid-Hudson Valley in the broader contexts of racial slavery in the New World; the African-American experience after Emancipation; and antislavery legacies today, including the impact of this historic grassroots movement on subsequent struggles for racial and social justice."
This site, run by the National Park Service, features historical documents, profiles of key people in the Underground Railroad movement, a guide to stops on the railroad, and research reports.Huguenot History
The Huguenot Cross is the ancient symbol of the recognition among the French Protestants, who in the 16th century were given the name of Huguenots originally a nickname, it became a name of honor among French Protestants in the days of suffering and persecution They wore the Huguenot Cross as sign of their evangelical faith.
On May 26, 1677, twelve Huguenots purchased almost 40,000 acres of land from the Esopus tribe along the Wallkill River and were given a legal grant to the land by Governor Edmund Andros the following September. In the spring of 1678, these Huguenots and their families took possession of the land as patentees (meaning they held a legal patent to the land) and settled the town of New Paltz, naming it after Die Pfalz, the region of Germany where they had formerly resided.
The town of New Paltz is situated in the southeastern section of the county, and is bounded as follows: on the north by the towns of Rosendale and Esopus, on the south by the towns of Gardiner and Plattekill, on the east by the towns of Rochester and Marbletown. It is irregular in outline, and has a farm area of 19, 392 acres. The population of the town, as given in the census of 1870, is 2,465.
This site lists books that are available in the Huguenot Historical Society Library in New Paltz. These books are all resources related to Huguenot History.
"The Early New Paltz Collection: Selected Digitized Manuscripts from the Huguenot Historical Society Archives 1672-1750 displays images of archival documents relating to the early development of the town of New Paltz, NY, settled by Huguenot immigrants from northern France in 1678."Native American History
When twelve Huguenot refugees from Northern France purchased a large tract of land from the Esopus Indians on May 26, 1677, they founded a settlement that they knew would be vulnerable to Indian attack because of its great distance from other white settlements. The settlers were well beyond the range where they could be easily protected by the English forces stationed at Kingston, and for at least the next fifteen years, had no physical refuge other than the simple dwellings in which they lived. It wasn't until 1705 that the New Paltz settlers had a defensible redoubt to which they could retreat if the natives did decide to attack. Living in such vulnerability, it was imperative that the Huguenots forge peaceful relations with the local tribesmen. The people of New Paltz appear to have been successful in this mission, as there is no record of any Indian uprising against them, and only a handful of sources suggest that there were even tensions between the two groups.
This website provides sources that are available at the Huguenot Historical Society Library in New Paltz. All of these sources deal with Native American History.Architectural History
During the summer of 2000, it came to the attention of SUNY New Paltz Professor Joe Diamond that there might have been an additional house on Huguenot Street, at one time owned by the Elting family, located near the Abraham Hasbrouck House. This information was derived from the 1790 Federal census which indicated that Ezekiel Elting (1763-1842) resided between his father Roeloff J. Elting (1737-1795) (in the Bevier-Elting House) and Isaias Hasbrouck (in the Abraham Hasbrouck House). On the last day of Dr. Diamond's 2000 Field School, portions of a foundation were found in just that location. Since it was the last day of the season, further investigation was postponed until 2001. In August 2001, the boundaries of the original structure were discovered. The foundations indicate that the house was approximately 37' x 17.5', indicating that it probably consisted of two rooms. As of 1798, the house was no longer in existence, and Dr. Diamond theorizes that the building was "robbed," meaning that the stones were taken away to be used for other purposes. Through an analysis of estate and legal papers, a partial history of the house and lot has been developed.
Currently on exhibit in the Howard Hasbrouck Grimm Gallery are architectural elements from the early houses on Huguenot Street. Early twentieth-century homeowners probably originally discovered most of these items, including fragments of doors, hinges, floorboards, and other materials, during remodeling or repair efforts. The examples were then stowed away in attics or basements and later salvaged by the Society as important historic material. Many of these objects retain vestiges of early paint and original wrought iron hardware. Most examples are well crafted, exhibiting the construction skills of their builders. Considered as a group, these architectural pieces will inform restoration projects conducted by the Society in the future and help us gain a better understanding of construction techniques used in the 17th and early 18th centuries.
This report was compiled as part of the process of the Locust Lawn Landscape Study and Master Plan conducted in 2001 and 2002.
This website provides sources that are available at the Huguenot Historical Society Library. All of these sources deal with architecture history.
Montgomery Place is best known as an architectural landmark designed by Alexander Jackson Davis and a landscape influenced by the great Andrew Jackson Downing. In 1775 General Richard Montgomery (1738-1775) was killed in the battle for Quebec and became the first hero of the American Revolution. His wife Janet Livingston Montgomery (1743-1828), at home on her place near Rhinebeck, became a revered widow, a status she cultivated for half a century.
Architectural style is often an important key to understanding how a community or neighborhood has developed over time. During the 19th century, when many of the County's residences were built, most architectural styles in use were first developed in the prosperous mercantile cities of this country or in Europe. As styles took hold in developing areas and larger cities such as Albany, local architects and master builders began incorporating characteristic features into the design of their buildings.
The engineering of the Hudson - the physical manipulation of natural space - coincides with an increase in the rate of production of certain forms of representation of the same space. Both processes, in turn, are associated with the rise of industrial capitalism in the northeast. A number of cultural anthropologists have looked at the relationships between groups and their physical surroundings, and at the way these physical surroundings are viewed and symbolised (Hirsch and O'Hanlon 1995). Their notion of landscape accords equal value to the actual terrain as to the experiences that individuals may have of this terrain, including the imaginative construction of texts and graphic images. In our own study of the Hudson River landscape, we rely on data of the latter sort to augment our knowledge of the physical landscape. Additionally, our research has been directed to understanding not only representations, but the social worlds from which these representations emerge, and within which they are distributed and experienced.Children and Education
This paper presents examples of some familiar and some unfamiliar business and accounting concepts as they were taught in the early-nineteenth century to help accounting students and faculty members to gain further insight into how today's practices evolved.
The extracts displayed come from ciphering books in the HHS Archives collection. Because students learning disciplines as varied as mathematics, handwriting, spelling and surveying used them, ciphering books are an excellent source for documenting the early history of education.Estates
Sunnyside stands on the banks of the Hudson River in Tarrytown, New York, and was purchased by Washington Irving in 1835 for $1,800. The house was originally a two-room Dutch farm house, and its earlier colonial history appealed to Irving. However, the farm house was too small to accommodate his large extended family. Irving also wanted to create a home that reflected his own ideas about beauty. Over the next fifteen years, with the help of an artist friend George Harvey, Irving redesigned and added to the original house. The end result of their efforts is the Sunnyside that exists today, which includes many examples of Irving's interests and findings from his travels.
"Staatsburgh, is a New York State Historic Site located within the boundaries of Mills-Norrie State Park. It is an elegant example of the great estates built by America's financial and industrial leaders during the Gilded Age."Historic People
Samuel Finley Breese Morse was born on April 27, 1791, in Charlestown, just outside of Boston, Massachusetts. He was the son of Jedidiah Morse, a pastor who was as well known for his geography as Noah Webster, a friend of the family, was known for his dictionaries.
Franklin D. Roosevelt was born in Hyde Park, New York on January 30, 1882, the son of James Roosevelt and Sara Delano Roosevelt. His parents and private tutors provided him with almost all his formative education. He attended Groton (1896-1900), a prestigious preparatory school in Massachusetts, and received a BA degree in history from Harvard in only three years (1900-03). Roosevelt next studied law at New York's Columbia University. When he passed the bar examination in 1907, he left school without taking a degree. For the next three years he practiced law with a prominent New York City law firm. He entered politics in 1910 and was elected to the New York State Senate as a Democrat from his traditionally Republican home district.
Anna Eleanor Roosevelt was born in New York City on October 11, 1884. Her father was Elliott Roosevelt, President Theodore Roosevelt's younger brother and her mother was Anna Hall, a descendent of the Livingstons, a distinguished New York family. Both her parents died when she was a child, her mother in 1892, and her father in 1894. After her mother's death, Eleanor lived with her grandmother, Mrs. Valentine G. Hall, in Tivoli, New York. She was educated by private tutors until age 15, when she was sent to Allenswood, a school for girls in England, whose headmistress, Mademoiselle Marie Souvestre, had a great influence on her education and thinking. At age 18, Eleanor Roosevelt returned to New York where she resided with cousins. During that time she became involved in social service work, joined the Junior League and taught at the Rivington street Settlement House.
It was a cold snowy February morning when Kate Mullaney left her home at 34 North 2nd Street in Troy, New York, waved goodbye to her widowed mother, Bridget, her older sister Mary, her two younger sisters and her brother Frank to walk to her job at the laundry. Kate and Mary had been born in Ireland and immigrated to America with their parents. After the death of their father, and because of their mother's ill health they decided that Mary would stay home to care for the family and Kate would become the breadwinner.
The Akin family of which Honorable Albert J. is now (1882) the oldest representative member, has always been one of the most important in Dutchess County. Of Scotch origin and Quaker lineage, the second American representative, left new England for its persecutions and settled upon Quaker Hill in the town of Pawling, and there his descendants have made a continued stand for several generations. Sectarian persecutions, from which the New England Quakers were sufferers, added largely to the independent and intelligent population of Dutchess County, but it received no more conspicuous advantage from any source than from the arrival of this Akin refugee.
This ancient family, which is numerously represented in Dutchess County, is of Norman-French origin, but more directly of English descent. It is said that the lineage of its present younger members can be traced back through eleven generations, with all the names and most of the important dates (birth, deaths, and marriages) ascertained and reliable. Tristram Coffyn, the pioneer and ancestor of the American branch, came from Devonshire, England, in 1642, and located in Massachusetts. In 1660 he removed to the island of Nantucket, of which he was one of the first owners and settlers and where he died in 1681. In Aug, 1881, two hundred years after his death, large numbers of his descendants, coming from many of our states and territories and from foreign lands, journeyed to Nantucket, and there held a grand memorial re-union, the exercises lasting for three successive days. The following extract from an oration delivered upon that occasion by Tristram Coffin of Poughkeepsie, contains some interesting information in regard to the branch of the family transplanted to this county.
To anyone who has ever known Mr. Storm this very expressive and life like engraving will readily recall him to memory. Notwithstanding his apparent freshness and life he is believed to be, to-day, the oldest male representative of the Storm family in Dutchess County. His early and matured manhood were spent upon lands belonging to one of the old homesteads of the Storm family in East Fishkill, where his younger son, William J. Storm now resides. The site of this old homestead still remains surrounded with trees that lift themselves toward the sunlight and hide in their branches the beautiful outlines of Wiccopee, and the Beacon heights of the Fishkill mountains, or Highlands, as their soft tracings of shadow and outline are spread out in the near and distant view until lost in the valley of the Hudson.
Thomas Taber was a native of Rhode Island and settled in the town of Dover in 1760, on a tract of land which has been occupied by his descendants to the present time. William, the son of Jeremiah, and grandsons of Thomas Taber, was born December 10, 1796 and died in January 1863. In October 1822, he was united in marriage with Eliza Sherman, who died February 5, 1841. To them were born four children of whom two are now living viz.:--Wm. Henry, born May 4, 1825, and Walter F., born October 29, 1830.
I was born in Pleasant Valley, Duchess County, New York, September 30, 1821. My parents were Abraham Flagler and Sarah Thorne. My father was a farmer, a quiet, sincere, Godly man, an elder in the Presbyterian Church and during the family life here in Pleasant Valley, active in church work, going out holding cottage prayer meetings at the neighboring homes. He had a good voice, led the singing in church, and taught his children to sing. He was of Dutch descent; his father, Zecheriah Flagler, being one of two sons, (Simon and Zecheriah) of a family who emigrated from Holland to Duchess County, New York, when Zecheriah was but four years old.
The mission of this organization is to raise funds to help the Park Service restore and preserve Val-Kill and also to enhance the visitor experience through film, exhibits and other materials.
The site includes a few of the old cemeteries located in Dutchess County. Most of the listings are taken from Poucher's "Old Gravestones in Dutchess County" which does not have listings for the more modern cemeteries.Miscellaneous
Welcome to the Web Site of the Mohawk & Hudson Chapter of the National Railway Historical Society! The chapter is based in Albany, N.Y., the railroad crossroads of the northeast, and takes its name from the Mohawk & Hudson Rail Road. The Mohawk & Hudson was one of the first railroads in the United States: it was chartered in 1826 and ran from Albany to Schnectady.
This link provides the viewer with links to Dutchess County Towns and their histories including Fishkill Landing and Village, Groveville, Johnsville, Matteawan, Pawling, Poughkeepsie, Quaker Hill, and Union Vale.
the first settlers came by way of the Hudson, near which the first settlements were begun. Settlements slowly progressed in the interior, along the streams, which were the first, and, for some years, almost the only highways in the country. Gradually they diverged from these into forests, unbroken, except by the small rude clearings made by the Indians, following the well-worn trails left by the latter, and from these branched off into routes indicated by blazed trees, which were the forest guide boards, and by their aid the forests were traversed from one locality to another. But these human denizens could not prosper in their isolated settlements; they must needs open communication with each other and to points affording a market for their surplus products; to this end roads were indispensable and of the first importance.
The Palisades Interstate Park Commission oversees Fort Lee Historic Park, Fort Montgomery, Knox's Headquarters, New Windsor Cantonment, Senate House, Stony Point Battlefield, and Washington's Headquarters.
The Hudson River Valley National Heritage Area's official website provides information on approximately 90 Hudson River Valley Heritage Sites - you can view them by region and interest.
This directory is provided by the Middletown Thrall Library and contains numerous links covering a wide variety of information about Hudson Valley History.
"The HRH is a nonprofit membership organization committed to preserving the unique character of the Mid-Hudson Valley's historic architecture, rural landscapes and scenic viewsheds through advocacy and education."
A sampling of items that help to tell the story of the people, business, farms, industries, natural history of the greater Chester, Orange County, New York community.
"The Consortium of Rhinebeck History is a group of organizations whose archives contain collections relating to Rhinebeck history. It is dedicated to the preservation and care of the various collections and to creating an index of the collections to promote public accessibility."
"The Orangetown Museum's Springsteen Collection is a collection of black and white photographs taken by George W. Springsteen in and around the Town of Orangetown c.1910 - 1920."
"The collection makes available all of the photographs in the Archives Files collection, which provide visual documentation of Raymond Avenue, Vassar Lake, college buildings and buildings relating to Matthew Vassar's family, as well as class groups, faculty, presidents, students, trustees, and Matthew Vassar and his relatives."
"These photographs of the Maverick Festivals are representative of the collection of historical materials held by the Woodstock Public Library District."
"The photographs document the history of higher education in the town of New Paltz, from the establishment of the first New Paltz Academy in 1828, to the present State University of New York at New Paltz."
"This collection is intended as a broad selection of materials from the College Archive that locates Bard within the social, cultural, and intellectual history of the Hudson Valley."
"The Library Association of Rockland County (LARC) is an organization of library-oriented individuals and groups representing 17 public libraries of Rockland County, New York. Its mission is to promote library growth, cooperation and development in Rockland County."
Oakwood Cemetery is one of America's larger rural cemeteries, overlooking 100 miles of the Hudson Valley and the heart of Troy in upstate New York. The Troy Cemetery Association, Inc. is charged with preserving and maintaining hundreds of acres, 10-12 miles of roads nearly 60,000 gravesites, as well as the historic Gardner Earl Memorial Chapel and Crematorium, the Queen Anne Victorian Lower Gatehouse and the Upper Gatehouse.Corridor of Commerce - travel & industry
This is a site dedicated to the preservation and interpretation of the remaining Hudson River lighthouses between Manhattan and Albany. The Coalition offers information on each house, operating hours, contacts, and a map to help you put it all together.
"The West Point Foundry, which operated from 1817 until 1911, was one of the most innovative and productive industrial facilities in the nation at the dawn of the Industrial Revolution. The Foundry's ruins are of unquestionable historic significance. Scenic Hudson's 87-acre site of the former West Point Foundry in the Village of Cold Spring lies in the heart of the majestic Hudson Highlands and opposite West Point Military Academy, 55 miles upriver from Manhattan."
Now part of Copake Falls State Park, the old Iron works shop and the ruins of its blast furnace remain. For additional images, see the Hillsdale Public Library's on-line photo gallery of picture postcards
Founded in 1972, the Hudson Mohawk Industrial Gateway helps the communities in the Capital District of New York to celebrate, to preserve, and to profit from its historic industrial legacy. It does so through education, preservation, advocacy, and development programs.
An online exhibit from the Hudson River Maritime Museum in Kingston discussing the shipping history of the Rondout district.
During the nineteenth century, a combination of the forces of geography and economics were to make the mid-Hudson Village of Rondout (later to become part of the City of Kingston) the principal center of commercial activity between New York and Albany.
This paper is part of a larger investigation of 19th century Hudson River landscape transformations associated with the development of industrial capitalism. As a result of the opening of the Erie Canal and associated engineering efforts which altered the river's morphology, the Hudson had become, by the middle of the 19th century, a corridor for the transportation of goods into the port of New York. In addition, these improvements allowed coal, machinery and building materials to be supplied to new industrial facilities established along the River. One of the Hudson's first industries was the natural ice industry.
Castleton Island State Park is comprised of a number of islands in the mid/upper Hudson. These island have a rich pre/historic legacy including agriculture and ice-houses.
Includes: Barges, Railroads and Bridges A Short History of the Delaware and Hudson Canal Company, 1828-1898; by Paula Valentine, as well as extensive links to museums and related organizations.
Located in Ulster County, this museum offers Teacher resources and field trips as well as an extensive research library and light hikes along the old canal and locks in the Village. The Museum also issues permits to visit the ruins of High Falls' Roebling Aqueduct.
Located in the D&H Canal Park, along the Neversink River in Cuddebackville, Orange County. They offer rides aboard a working replica canal barge, an educational program on the Native American Lenape, a research library, and more.
Hudson Valley Railroad Society The Hudson Valley Railroad society is a nonprofit organization that is located at the Hyde Park Railroad Station. Its website contains a multitude of links, information about the society and a list of events it is involved with.
The Taconic State Parkway web site gives a large historical overview and contains links and pictures of the parkway.
The mission of the New York State Bridge Authority is to maintain and operate the vehicle crossings of the Hudson River entrusted to its jurisdiction for the economic and social benefit of the people of the state. The website contains pages on history as well as a photo gallery.
The Palisades Interstate Parkway was completed in 1958, and provides a scenic 42-mile ride from the George Washington Bridge to Bear Mountain. Its web site gives a large historical overview and contains links and pictures of the parkway.
Walkway Over the Hudson is a not for profit corporation dedicated to preserving the historic Poughkeepsie Highland Railroad Bridge and turning it into a park. Its website contains historical information, up to date news, and pictures throughout.
Of the many Hudson River steamboat lines, the Hudson River Day Line was the most prominent and dependable. Their steamboats were known for elegance and speed, and provided the most enjoyable way to travel the Hudson River.
Sailor Twain - or The Mermaid in the Hudson, a serial webcomic
Peppered with recognizable locations along the river and the blog’s colorful history notes, the story calls out to readers from Tarrytown, Dobbs Ferry, Peekskill, Rhinebeck, Poughkeepsie and elsewhere from Manhattan to Albany—some of whom leave comments furthering the historical research. “Sailor Twain” is, at least in part, a love-letter to the Hudson, and it argues convincingly for its place as one of the most romantic rivers in the world.
Ice boating on the Hudson River has finished one of the most remarkable seasons in recent memory. The cold weather created a thick and beautiful ice sheet from Rhinecliff to Astor Point, near Barrytown, an expanse of about 5 miles of smooth ice perfect for ice boating. 'Hard water' sailing continued throughout February and into March.
Located in Haverstraw, New York is a museum dedicated to preserving the memories of an era gone by. The mission of the museum is to collect, preserve, research and exhibit materials and cultures of the brick making industry within the Hudson River Valley.
The background for this webpage is from bricks found in the Hudson River area of New York State. where hundreds of brick-making factories existed from the late 1700s into the 1940s.
This link discusses the West Point Foundry. It touches upon the foundry's history and discusses archaeological research done on location.
This provides a small biography about Robert Parrott. He was in charge of the West Point Foundry during the Civil War and created a cannon known as the Parrott gun which is credited with helping the Union win the war.
This links to the New York State Library and the documents they have regarding the Sterling Ironworks.
Troy's industrial history is housed in the former office of the Burden Iron Works. The museum is operated by the Hudson Mohawk Industrial Gateway, which also maintains downtown Troy-s RiverSpark Visitor Center (where there are additional exhibits about the city's history) and sponsors a regular series of tours, the most popular of which focuses on Troy's large concentration of Tiffany windows. Self-guided walking tours of the city's large collection of 19th-century buildings are also available there.
Troy's RiverSpark Visitor Center is the place to launch any visit to downtown Troy, to the greater Troy area, or to the entire Hudson-Mohawk Heritage Area . You will learn how abundant water for transportation and industrial power helped propel the region to international fame during the nineteenth century. Visitor Center staff will show you where you can visit the plentiful landmarks from that industrial heyday and guide you to Troy's unique shops, excellent restaurants, renowned cultural attractions, and impressive historic architecture. They will advise you about the numerous events that take place in greater Troy every week.History and Commerce of Forestry
This link brings you to an article about the history of the Hudson. Among the piece, there is a section on tanneries and Zaddock Pratt, owner of one of the largest tanneries. It also briefly discusses how the Catskills were overused, and Hemlocks began to disappear.Medical History
Dr. Osborn (1722-1782) is of the Fishkill Depot, and is the only physician able to be researched in our local history. He is also the only historical physician not in the administration under George Washington's management. Dr. Osborn is our only source of local heritage information pertaining to the war.
Trained in Edinburgh as a child, Lt-Gov Colden became a philosopher, scientist, and engineer. Plans are currently being put in place to make his home a historical landmark.
Dr. Ricketson was the first Quaker doctor in our region.
Some of the first "wilderness settlers", the Moravian people converted some of the native Mahican Indians to Christianity and help create a unique medical philosophy.