FASNY Museum of Firefighting
117 Harry Howard Ave
Hudson, NY 12534
Hours: open 7 days a week from 9AM till 4:30PM. Closed on major holidays
Notes: Parking and admission free. Tours given upon request. Large groups are welcome but call ahead if possible. Gift shop on site.
Phone: (877) 347-3687
Historical Description: At the 51st State Firemen's Convention held in Hudson in 1923, a resolution signed by the presidents and secretaries of both the Volunteer Firemen's Association and the Exempt Firemen's Association of the City of New York said that if the State Association of the Firemen's Home would authorize the erection of a suitable building for a museum, equipment for exhibits would be provided. So, amid much anticipation, the Museum was built with a center hall 49 feet long with two adjoining wings 24 feet long, amounting to 2600 square feet of museum space. The Museum was dedicated on Memorial Day in 1926.
Among the museum’s collection of fire apparatus is a 1725 Newsham fire engine. Ordered by New York City in 1731 it is the first successful and oldest authenticated fire engine in New York State. The museum features a collection of memorabilia, including lithographs, banners, paintings, trophies, clocks, shields, patches, models, photos and much more. The museum also contains several pieces of fire gear, including helmets, badges, lanterns, boots and clothing. Finally, the collection of fire equipment offers a glimpse into the history of buckets, torches, axes, extinguishers, trumpets, hooks, ladders and other equipment.
From I87, exit 21: Turn left on CR-23B followed by another left on RT 23 East. Bear left onto RT 23B followed by a left onto Warren St.