Historical Society of Newburgh Bay &the Highlands
189 Montgomery St.
Newburgh, NY 12550
Hours: Sundays from 1pm-4pm, April through October and by appointment.
Notes: Admission is $5 for non-members; free to members.
Phone: (845) 561-2585
The Historical Society of Newburgh Bay & the Highlands resides inside the house of civic leader and maritime entrepreneur, Captain David Crawford. Captain David Crawford played a pivotal role in turning Newburgh into a bustling shipping and industrial city. His house was built in 1830 and sits atop 500 acres of property overlooking the Hudson River.
The Crawford House is now the present day home of the Historical Society of Newburgh Bay & the Highlands. They have, inside the house, a massive collection of 19th century furnishings, decorative arts, paintings and portraits. There is also a large collection of records and data pertaining to the Hudson River Valley and the Revolutionary War. The Historical Society hosts cultural and educational events, as well as tours and programs. The society always has different exhibits on display and a fantastic collection of Hudson River model ships.
From the NY State Thruway, take exit 17 (Newburgh) and bear left at the off ramp, heading toward 17K. At the bottom of the ramp, make a left at the light onto 17K (which will turn into Broadway). Continue on Broadway toward the River. At the crest of the hill, with a view of the River ahead of you and just two blocks from the end of Broadway, make a left onto Grand Street. Follow Grand Street approximately 7 blocks and make a right onto Clinton Street. Crawford House will be the third house down. It is yellow with green shutters and sits on the corner of Clinton and Montgomery Streets.