Ten Broeck Mansion Ten Broeck Mansion

PDF Guidebook


Ten Broeck Mansion


9 Ten Broeck Place 

ALBANY, NY 12210 

Hours: (Open for Special exhibits)

Saturday, December 7th & Sunday, December 8th from 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. 


$3.00, adults & $1.00, children (12 and under). Ample off-street  parking is available.

Phone: (518) 436-9826


Historical Description:                                                                       

The Ten Broeck Mansion was built in 1797-98 for General Abraham Ten Broeck and his wife, Elizabeth Van Rensselaer, after a fire destroyed their Albany home. Van Rensselaer leased five acres in what then was the Township of Watervliet from his brother-in-law, the Patroon -- Stephen Van Rensselaer.  The Ten Broeck family was already five generations into New World residence by the time Abraham came of age and had become prosperous and prominent in public affairs. In 1775, he served as a delegate to the Second Continental Congress. In 1777, as a brigadier general, he commanded the New York Militia at the famous Battle of Saratoga. From 1779-1783 he served as both mayor of Albany and as a member of the State Senate. Governor George Clinton appointed Ten Broeck the first judge of the Court of Common Pleas, in 1781. Ten Broeck enjoyed Prospect for a scant 12 years before his death in 1810. His widow, Elizabeth, lived there another three years, until her death.

Theodore Olcott purchased the residence in 1848 and renamed it Arbor Hill, after the surrounding area which today is an Albany neighborhood known by that name. The Olcott family, one of the most prominent in Albany banking and civic improvement circles, was responsible for the addition of the firstfloor butler's pantry and the second-floor bathrooms, both of which reflect the Victorian style of the late 19th Century. The Mansion's dominance spurred new development in Arbor Hill, with a new wealthy merchant class building homes near their businesses, utilizing the late Greek Revival, Italianate, Second Empire and other styles from the late 1840s to 1890. In 1948, the Mansion was presented by the heirs of Robert Olcott to the Albany County Historical Association. 


The Site:                                                                                             

It was there he built a Federal-style house with sloping lawns and formal gardens. The mansion, named "Prospect," commanded a sweeping view of the Hudson River and its daily traffic of barges and schooners along the busy trade route.

It was refurbished and renovated in the then-fashionable Greek revival style.



From the I87 - New York State Thruway:

• Exit 4 US-9/US-20 West • Turn Left on Broadway • Turn Left on Clinton Ave. • Turn Right on Ten

Broeck St • Turn Left on Ten Broeck Pl • #9 Ten Broeck Pl is on the right