SMC WV-1N-M BLDG 38
Watervliet, NY 12189
Hours: Sunday - Thursday 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Friday & Saturday Closed
Phone: (518) 266-5805
Watervliet Arsenal is the nation’s oldest manufacturing arsenal. It was founded in 1813 to support the military efforts of t the war of 1812. During the late 1880s the arsenal became America’s cannon factory and remains America’s sole manufacturing facility for large volumes of caliber cannon. The Arsenal now houses a museum as well as a manufacturing plant. The museum itself tells the story of the Watervliet Arsenal as well as explores the history of big guns and America.
The Museum itself houses many one-of-a-kind guns collected over the past 400 years. In addition there are many new artillery weapons on display. The museum contains everything from 16th and 17th century cannons to the massive 16-inch guns of World War II battleship fame. The facility also houses a thorough library and research center containing thousands of historical publications, photographs, and other military history sources.
- I-87 (Northway) to Exit 7 towards Troy (Rt. 7).
- Route 7 to I-787 South towards Albany.
- I-787 South to first exit which is marked 23rd Street exit (Watervliet).
- At exit ramp turn right, then immediately enter the left turn lane. At stop light turn left (Broadway).
- The main gate for the arsenal is approximately 1¼ miles on the right, after the light on Broadway.
- Please Note: You will go right past the Main Gate. This is closed due to security conditions. One more right turn and you are at the South Gate (the only gate now open). Stop and register with the guards.
For more directions please see their website http://www.wva.army.mil/DIRECT.HTM