Wiltwyck Chapter House and Library Wiltwyck Chapter House and Library
Wiltwyck Chapter: National Society Daughters of the American Revolution
114 Green Street, P.O. Box 3592
Kingston, NY 12402
Hours: Call for hours of operation
Wiltwyck Chapter House stands on a triangular lot at the junction of Crown and Green Streets, within what was the original stockade area of Kingston, New York. It is one of the oldest stone houses in the city, having been built before 1695. The first owner of the house, of whom records remain, was Anthony Crispell. He sold the property to Matthys Van Keuren on December 27, 1703. In 1735-36 Van Keuren sold the house to Hendricus Sleight for £120. During the Revolution, the house was damaged when the British burned Kingston. It was soon rebuilt. In 1782, George Washington visited Kingston, and it is believed that he called at the house to pay his respects to Mr. Sleight, Head of the Village Trustees. Hendricus Sleight conveyed the property to his daughter, Helen Jansen for $400, in 1784. This deed now hangs in the front entry hall of the Chapter house. In 1785, Helen Jansen, recently widowed, deeded the house to her son-in- law, John Tappen. He was the editor of an early local newspaper, The Ulster Plebian. Mr. Tappen used the second floor of the house for his print shop and newspaper publishing. During the Civil War, Mrs. Henry Jansen Tappen opened her home as a center for local women to meet to make bandages and hospital supplies for the Union Army. For nearly a hundred years the property was known as "The Tappen House." In 1907, Wiltwyck Chapter, NSDAR bought the property to be used as a Chapter House and Museum.
On the second floor of the house, where Mr. Tappen had his printing business, there is a library. It has over 400 books dealing with history and genealogy. There are many other records available to those who wish to avail themselves of the research facility.
From the Thruway I87: Take exit #19 onto a local road toward Rhinecliff/Kingston Bridge. Continue on Washington Ave before taking a left on North Front Street. Finally take a right onto Green Street.